Sunday 29 April 2012

Essie | Merino Cool Nail Polish

When I first heard that Superdrug were launching a range of Essies most infamous nail polishes my ears immediately tweaked. This is a brand that has been doing the rounds on the blogging scene for some time now and has been on my radar ever since. Priced at a mid of the range £7.99, is now available in selected Superdrugs stores and online.

After a failed attempt to pick any up in my local stores *cue a huge wave of disappointment* I opted to purchase online. I am usually a little wary about purchasing makeup/polishes online before having seen them in person but I needn't have worried as the colours I chose were spot on when they arrived on my doorstep a few days later. The first colour I was eager to try was Merino Cool.

essie 4 essie 2essie 3essie 4
Merino Cool is described as a muted purple grey and its colour varies from person to person. On me personally it looks distinctively purple with grey undertones, very understated but dramatic at the same time. If you recall the controversial 'meat dress' worn by Lady Gaga at the MTV VMA's in 2010 then this is the colour she chose to compliment the outfit. I am not so sure I shall be pairing it with the same attire anytime soon though :-). From previous reports I have heard people state that the only complaint with Essie polishes is the brush size, but being an Essie virgin so to speak I cannot comment on this gripe. What I wil l say though is that from initial inspection and application the brush has clearly been updated to a thicker more versatile brush which applies like an absolute dream. By this, I mean this applies ridiculously flawlessly, the brush basically glides over the nail bed and spreads out so you almost get a clean coat of colour in one swoop which is perfect for those with limited time. I applied 2 coats of this colour to achieve full opaqueness whilst setting it with Seche Vite's dry fast top coat which gave it a gorgeous gloss, if you do not already own this top coat then this is a must have for any nail polish fanatics. 

Merino Cool by Essie is available on Superdrug online for £7.99.