Wednesday 27 June 2012

L'Oreal Lumi Magique vs YSL Touche Éclat

L'Oreal magique highlighting concealerL'Oreal lumi magique highlighterL'oreal lumi magiqueL'oreal magique highlighting concealer swatch lightL'Oreal magique concealer in lightYSLToucheclatvsLOrealLumiMagique
 YSL Touche Éclat (left) L'Oreal Lumi Magique

When I heard on the grapevine that there was a possible dupe in the form of L'oreal Lumi Magique to the infamous YSL Touche Éclat my first thought was where can I get this from? I am a big fan of the latter and I don't think there has been a time where this has not graced my makeup collection with my latest being a sneaky purchase on a day trip to Harrods after being lured into the cosmetics hall (seriously this is like WOW, if you ever get the chance to visit I highly recommend!). Anyhow its an expensive habit at at RRP of £25 so when I spied the L'oreal Lumi Magique in Boots a while back priced at a mere £8.49 I quickly snapped one up in the shade light. 

Now lets be frank here, its not got the packaging to rival the YSL version by far and it has a twisting end which disperses the product as opposed to the fancy clicker on the YSL but on all other levels its a winner. For starters the brushes are very similar in both size and denseness with the L'oreal being a tad softer. Colour wise I opted for light whereas I am a shade 1 (original) in the Touche Éclat. I found that the L'oreal had a more yellow base whereas the YSL has more of a pink undertone in the shade I use. With the limited amount of shades in the L'oreal collection, ranging from light, medium to dark it would be hard to get a perfect match but this does the job just as well. Being a highlighting concealer this can be used anywhere you would get a natural highlight so I tend to apply under my eyes, along the bridge of my nose and creases and across the cupids bow and brows, all blended with a RT deluxe shadow brush. In terms of formulation they are very similar with the latter being of a slightly more fluid formula. Coverage wise neither are going to cover blemishes well and are designed to be used on areas such as dark circles under the eyes so I would not go putting either of these on your spots or blemishes as all this will do is highlight the area, not a good look. 

In a nutshell these are very much comparable with very different price tags. I still stand firmly that the YSL will never be beaten and will always be my under-eye concealer of choice but this is the perfect alternative without breaking the bank and is something I will definitely be re-purchasing in the future.


The YSL Touche Éclat is available at most major department stores and online for approximately £25. The L'Oreal Lumi Magique highlight can be purchased in Boots in store or online here for £8.49.